Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Stupidity

I wrote a previous entry about the fact that my wife refuses to wear her glasses except when she is driving or watching TV. This forces to constantly search for them since she just sets them down when they become uncomfortable.

It finally happened. She lost them for good. We had gone out one day, and she did not realize they were missing until we got home.

We returned to the same place the following week. She actually wanted to patrol the parking lot and look for them. Obviously, we did not find them.

She has finally decided she needs new glasses. She asked me a question I did not expect.

"What do I do?"

"What do you mean?", I replied.

"How do I get new glasses?"

"Well, just call an eye doctor, make an appointment, get the new prescription, and then take it to LensCrafters or something."

"How do I do that?", she still asked.

My head began to hurt at this point. "Do what?", I said.

"Make an appointment." she said, matter-of-factly.

"Wha...How have you gotten glasses in the past? How did you see an eye doctor?"

"My mom made the appointment."

I remember when she got her last pair of glasses; it was about ten years ago. We were still dating, and she was well out of college. Yet she needed her mom to do it for her. What is even more bizarre is that she can make appointments for other things like doctor and dentist visits just fine.

Incidentally, she has needed a new prescription for a while, even before she lost her glasses. The only reason she has refused to go is because she doesn't like it when they perform the glaucoma test and puff air into her eyes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. There are a lot of us in the same situation but cannot express ourselves as freely. I call it: "STUCK, BY CHOICE." I have three wonderful little children and I cannot bear the idea of hurting them (by leaving) just because their mother is a completely brainless, beautiful woman. Carry on, friend.

Anonymous said...

Up to the minute example: I blocked all R-rated TV shows with unlock code number -- say, 1234. So when you flip to a channel and its R-rated, it prompts you to enter the four digits... as I have explained to her at least 3-4 times a couple of days ago. JUST 10 MINUTES ago, she was calling (yelling at) me from across the hall because (accdg to her) she turned on the TV, pressed "1234" on the remote and no R-rated movies came up! Instead it shows channel 123! YOU TOP THAT, FRIEND. We should form a club... and invite our wives!

Sally Heap said...

I love this blog. It's the only thing that manages to make me look like a smart wife. Now, if only I could get my husband to stop comparing your stories to our own daily lives.

Anonymous said...

My wife always has uncanny penchant to place down objects anywhere she happens to be whenever the urge to 'not hold' said object presents itself. This has lead to feverish searches for many important things, including my W2 form for this year, as well as nail clippers, band-aids, and pretty much anything else that has a specific place for it to be put after it's done being used.

Anonymous said...

i seriously laughed my ass off reading this. I pretty much could have written the whole thing. My wife hates her glasses and cant even see stuff clearly on our 42" tv so she will ask me whats going on and ill say something like "where are your glasses" and she insists that she doesnt need them to watch tv even though she cant see. The best part was the thing about the new perscription because she REFUSES to go to the eye doctor cause the hates the air puff too!! great post

ThisGuy said...

WOW

me and my wife's coversation

ME: You need to stop laying your glasses around everywhere we can't afford a new pair is you lose these.(given they were brand new)

Her: Leave me alone about it I take care of my things

No more than two days later I am getting into bed all the lights are out and I feel something crunch under my knee. Can you guess what it was. She had fell asleep reading a book took her glasses off and set them on my side of the bed. I was a little upset so I woke her up and showed her. Now it is my fault for not paying attention and making sure i didn't crush her glasses when I get in the bed with my glasses off in the pitch black dark.