Monday, October 22, 2007

A Sink is a Sink. Ya Think?

My wife loves working on our house. Check that. My wife loves it when I work on the house. She doesn't quite understand all the planning involved with this.

She decided one day that she wanted to replace the sink in one of our bathrooms. So she went out, found one she liked, bought it, and brought it home.

"What is this?", I asked.

"A sink for the bathroom. I was sick of looking at the one in there." (I agreed. It needed replacing.)

"How did you know what size to get?", I asked.

"What?"

"How did you know what size to get?", I repeated. "Sinks come in different sizes. We need a smaller one than usual since the cabinet is kind of small."

"Oh." This is the sound she makes when the light goes on in her head.

As I figured, the sink she bought was too big, so she had to take it back. I also had to stop the other work I was doing to go with her and find the right size.

8 comments:

Penguin Dude said...

Brother, you are *SO* not alone in this world.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm the wife, and I'm the one with the common sense in the family. My dear husband is the sometimes idiot.
So I echo what Keith said...you are *SO* not alone.
:)

Anonymous said...

Your killing me dude! Found me a new blog to add to my favorites

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

By the way, I am a different Keith tha the first one that commented :-)

Anonymous said...

This occurence is pretty common. An appliance is an appliance, right? Infinitely modular - who cares about your arbitrary laws of dimensions and physics?

My wife came home with a cieling fan one day to put over the bed. That's nice and all, but you kind of need... I don't know... Some sort of fixture on the cieling first to install it onto.

Anonymous said...

My husband works at Home Depot and one day had a man come in with some pictures on his cell phone of the windows he wanted replaced. He didn't have any measurements, only the pictures on his tiny cell phone screen. It took my husband 5 minutes to explain to the man that the pictures didn't help to know what size windows to order.

He has told me numerous times of people coming in asking for a four foot yard stick. They just can't seem to grasp the concept that a yard is three feet and therefore a yard stick is also only three feet.

MBT said...

Much of what I go through is partly the fault of TV fix-it programs. She actually thinks they rebuild these major projects in a couple hours - basically the total amount of time you see it on TV. I try to explain the planning, buying, prep/actual/clean-up work (and occassional re-work) involved. Alas, she just simply does not get it. She thinks you can do it within 30 - 180 minutes.