Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sometimes, It's Not So Cute

A lot of these stories are funny.

This one is not. My wife often lacks the ability to appropriately prioritize things.

I was spending the evening with the kids recently when my wife was working a part-time job. I was trying to help my daughter change into her pajamas when, in the process of trying to escape, she slammed her face into my knee.

She started crying so I picked her up to calm her down. That's when I noticed the blood. I quickly surmised it was coming from her nose so I trotted over to the bathroom, grabbed a wet washcloth, and held her head back while applying some mild pressure.

She calmed down, and I cleaned her face and hands off (she had been instinctively rubbing her nose during this process). Within twenty minutes she was back to normal and playing happily. Both kids went to bed without incident.

When my wife got home later, I started to recount the story.

"...and I looked up and saw the blood on her face, my shirt, her clothes..."

"Whoa", she interrupted, "there's blood on HER NEW OUTFIT?!"

"Well, yes."

She starts to simmer and make exasperated noises.

"Wait, you're not mad at me are you. Are you saying it's my fault that her clothes are stained? Don't you even care how she's doing?", I continued.

"Just shut up.", she replied.

She spent the rest of the evening cleaning the few drops of blood out of our daughter's clothes.

8 comments:

Kierra said...

she's funny!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful woman!

Anonymous said...

When a nose is bleeding, you shouldn't tilt the head back, but forward.

Penguin Dude said...

I'm sorry to hear that she wasn't more concerned for your daughter's well-being.

Anonymous said...

I think that's just a case of her having had a bad day at work. She could surmise the child was OK because you were casually telling the story, but she just overreacted. I guess the child's new clothes were very expensive. I hope you two worked it out later.

Anonymous said...

I love your site. Every time I have an issue with my wife, I read your blog and feel so much better.

Anonymous said...

I only found this site because my wife is doing something stupid right now and it is driving me crazy. I thought I would surf the web and calm down.
Right now she is heating up some Bar-B-Que pork she made for sandwiches. While it is heating she is constantly banging the lip of the pan with a spoon. She will not stop and when I ask why she said " it makes it cook better". So, this goes out to all of the chefs who wasted money on culinary school, you could have saved money and just banged loudly on the pan.

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you are saying. I am in the same boat, ie great kids , stupid wife, can't leave because then there would be NO adults left.

You are wrong though, if she is like my wife. Her priorities are very clear...to her, which is aall that matters. Her priority is her "poor,pitiful" self and having to take a monetary loss(money she could have used for herself ) or expend some effort on cleaning( time she could have had for herself) due to the "thoughtless child and husband" .
Sounds like you got a doozy just like mine. What I would give to have her run off with the pool boy orf something!