Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Computers Scare Her

Again, thank you for all the comments. Your support lifts a significant weight off my shoulders.

Let me first reassure everyone: If you are reading this, I can guarantee that I am not your husband. I know this because my wife is afraid of computers at best and thinks they are the spawn of Satan at worst.

She claims it is the result of a supposedly traumatic computer class she was forced to endure as a child. Fast forward to today, and you will see that her only interaction with them is via a Hotmail account I set up for her many years ago. She can only open it because I placed a "Hotmail" shortcut on the desktop in the middle of the screen. For the record, here is a list of things involving computers that confound her:

1. Opening attachments

Hotmail's procedure for this involves just following a couple of "click here" links. She is never sure if that is what she is supposed to do.

2. Forwarding e-mails

She asks me how. Every. Single. Time.

3. Opening a document

Me - "I placed the file right on the desktop next to the Hotmail icon. Just double-click on it, and the document will open."

Her - "I don't understand."

4. Surfing the web

When she wants to know our bank balance. I have to log on and show her. Every. Single. Time.
Yes, I have the site bookmarked. Yes, she knows the password (or at least I told her. She has probably long since forgotten). She has managed to click on links in her e-mail, so maybe there is hope.

5. Anything. Just...anything.

Plus, everything I'm doing must be a "game". Checking our investments? Game. Reading the news? Game. Editing videos of the kids? Game.

Of course she never sees me edit this blog. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, i love reading this. i check every day (multiple times, even!) to see if you have updated. i have a love for your wife, i must admit (and i am not a lesbian!). she is so cute and naive. and i love you for being a good husband to her. she is lucky to have you, but i am also sure that you are lucky to have her. :)

keep posting. you are brilliant!

idiotwife said...

Thanks for reading!

Sigh...

Yes, she is actually very cute. Which is probably why I am able to tolerate so much.

Anonymous said...

While you think being a Luddite is cute, I assure you that that makes her the employee from hell. Can you imagine anyone having to work with her? Please, for her own sake, sign her up for a compueter course.

idiotwife said...

I don't think it is cute, actually. It is quite annoying, as I have to do everything for her. She refuses to learn new things.

As for being the employee from hell, you may be right, but she is a stay-at-home mom, so she will be self-employeed for the near future.

But I still think she is cute.