Tuesday, July 11, 2006

You found me & Mo' Money

First off, welcome to those coming from True Husband Confessions. It seems my little secret is out of the bag. Thank you for the kind comments. I felt for sure as soon as people saw the things I said about my wife, that there would be a call for my lynching. Thanks for noticing that I really do love her. She just makes me crazy sometimes (but then, don't you all?).

On to the entry:

I have only stated that I am an "educated professional". Suffice it to say I have a well paying job. Far from being in debt, my wife and I have quite a bit of money invested. We made a lot of the right choices early in life and always save money here and there.

When I say "we", of course, I mean that I chose to invest my money and manage it myself. Prior to our marriage, my wife's parents handled all her finances. She was very nervous combining our savings, partially because it meant passing the mantle of responsibility to me, and partially because she had no clue how much she had or what to do with it. I, on the other hand, had no problem with it. What's mine is hers forever. With this in mind, here are two little gems:

- As a wedding present, my parents gave us a large some of money. I immediately began to research where to put the money for the short term, as we were looking to buy a house soon. Should I put it in savings, buy a six-month CD, or what? She got very nervous about what I was doing and said, "Hold on, it's our money! We should both be involved!"

"You are absolutely right.", I said. "What would you like to do with the money."

Silence. Then...

"Umm, invest it?" she asked.

Sigh. (In case you are curious, I found a high-yield money market. And we love the house.)

- Though we are doing well financially, my wife always feels I should make just a little more money. She frequently tells me to ask for raises that would get me laughed out of my boss's office. But my favorite is when she suggests that I get a part time job. I always have to gently remind her that this would require me to be away from home more often, something that causes her no end of grief. Once she realizes what would be required of her in my absence, she quickly recants her request. But she always brings it up again a few months later.

And how often am I away from home normally? 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Every weekday.

3 comments:

Melody said...

It is obvious that you love your wife and though I can snicker at some of the silliness, I wonder if you have given any thought that she might have a serious problem.

Some of her actions and behaviors mirror my mother-in-law who I once just considered spacey or nervous. It turns out she has a combination of Adult Attention Disorder and beginnings of Alzheimer's.

There are some good meds out there that might help. Just a thought!

idiotwife said...

My wife admits to ADD. I think it is also an anxiety disorder and a bit of a borderline personality.

It is a serious problem. Humor is how I deal with things.

Melody said...

She is lucky to have found you.