Friday, July 21, 2006

The grass is always greener...when I get to take care of it.

Like most husbands, I am responsible for the care and feeding of our lawn, though my wife and I occasionally butt heads on the best method to do so.

When we first bought our house, the lawn was in bad shape, as the previous owners were older and did not have the energy to maintain it. To get it back into shape, we started subscribing to a lawn care service. Not only did the grass improve, it is now a bit out of control. I have to mow it once a week to keep it looking nice. I also trim around the house and other parts of the landscaping.

After I finished my regimen the other day, my wife made a comment to the effect that I had not done a thorough enough job and that the grass was too long. She is quite a bit more meticulous when it comes to outward appearances, so the first part was not expected. What bugged me was the comment about the length of the grass.

We have had this discussion on more that one occasion. For the weather and soil in our area, it is recommended that one mow their grass at the highest setting to maintain the healthiest lawn. I reminded her of this again that this tidbit of knowledge comes not from me but from:

1. The lawn care service
2. Our aging neighbor with the immaculate lawn
3. Her parents

My opinion is usually worthless to her, since she usually assumes I am lying to her. But once she realized that someone other than me (specifically her co-dependent parents) had said it, she dropped the issue, albeit reluctantly.

She was determined, however, and went outside to trim on her own. We have an electric weed trimmer, and in all my use of it, I have never discharged the battery completely. She came back in some time later stating that the trimmer no longer worked. She had used it so long and so meticulously that she had indeed run it down. She had also trimmed the grass in places to near golf course fairway length. I reminded her of the discussion we had, but she stated that she wanted it to look neat. This included grass I planted to cover some small bare spots.

Fast forward a week. I was mowing the lawn the following week. Most of it looks great.

Except for where she trimmed. These areas are either dead or choked with weeds.

How does the lawn look now, sweetheart?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're right! She really is an idiot!

Sarah said...

I'm glad my husband and I both do the lawn and we both agree as to where the setting is now... I would like to have it shorter but we are borrowing my dad's mower, so we don't wanna change the setting yet...
Hopefully next time though you both can agree on the lawn and not have it ruined.

Carole said...

I can't believe that someone could be so needy. Your wife needs to take courses on how to be more independent. What would she do without you? Also let me add that she makes us women look bad by not educating herself with the simpliest tasks. I'm not saying I'm perfect...but I don't ask my husband for too much...unless it's really something I can't tackle...like heavy things, due to my arthritis. I've done electrical...flooring....painting...plumbing...etc. I've even attempted cutting the grass after being terrified of the lawnmower because when I was little.. a big rock flew out of the lawnmower, while my dad was cutting the grass.. and the rock hit me in the nose. It split me below the nose..and am scarred for life.....BUT needless to say... I have conquered my fear of lawnmowers. I wear safety glasses. And one last thing.....I do know how to cut grass.
Hope you can survive your many years with her. Good partners work together for life...but I only see one side working. Looking forward to your next (wife) story. It makes me thankful that my husband and I are in partnership together for life.