Monday, July 17, 2006

Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me

I mentioned in a previous post how my wife is a bit paranoid about our finances. One way she attempts to save us money is keeping the thermostat set so high in the summer, that the air conditioning never turns on. This is fine to a point, but the house can get quite stifling in the afternoon heat.

To combat this, my wife frequently likes to "air out" the house. She cannot do this by opening windows, however, as she is not strong enough to push them up. Instead, she frequently just opens the front door.

Again, this is not necessarily stupid, but we do not have a screen door, so bugs immediately start flying into the house. She always complains about this as if the two events were not connected. Of course, the insects in the house aren't really her problem. Like most husbands, I have been tasked with killing them.

This leads to the next demonstration of stupidity. I also mentioned previously that I do all the cooking because of my wife's inability to concentrate or multi-task. The other night I cooked a pasta dish and announced dinner was ready. I was able to quickly feed myself and the kids, but my wife, who finds it difficult to focus, kept getting distracted by one task or another and could not make her way to the kitchen.

By the time she got there, she complained that the aforementioned flies were landing on her food. She then asked if I would stand there and wave them away, since she could still not bring herself to sit down and eat. I told her that it was impossible for me to stand guard over her food and get anything else done. And by that I mean killing all the flies that got in the house.

She has since agreed to stopped ventilating the house via the front door.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?! Did she give you a palm leaf to fan her with too?

Anonymous said...

Do you all have ceiling fans? I'm a penny pincher when it comes to air conditioning too -- and so my hubby put up ceiling fans in the family room and bedrooms. They're awesome!